On-Farm Water Management Training for Farmer Organization (FO) Leaders
A training workshop on “ On-Farm Water Management Training for Farmer Organization (FO) Leaders” were held on 8th October 2018 at “Agri-Training Centre, Thirunelveli” and on 9th October at “Coop Council Hall, Kilinochchi”.
Objectives of the activity were,
- To make the farmers aware of the issues associated with their current practices (excessive water and fertilizer use, water pollution, etc.)
- To educate them on irrigation water demand estimation
- To make them aware of the advance techniques like drip and sprinkler irrigation systems and the advantages in using those systems
- Soil-plant-water relationships
- Climate and climate change
- Crop water requirements
- Farm water requirements as affected by method of irrigation and management practices
- Groundwater availability and vulnerability
Resource Persons were University teachers, officers from the Department of Agriculture and a private companyActivity was coordinated by Dr. S. Pathmarajah, Country Coordinator, Cap-Net Lanka.